Did you ever want to become an effective advocate, but did not know how?
Here are some ways you can become one:
1. Choose a cause you are passionate about such as childhood cancer, leukodystrophy awareness, childhood obesity, etc.
2. Research. Research. Research. Look up information on a Google source from sites with good information. Websites that end in org. are good resources as well as foundations.
3. Become involved. – Start following families on Facebook and comment on their posts saying you are praying for them. If you become an active follower, the families will see that you deeply care.
4. Meet the families who have a child with the cause you want to be an advocate for if at all possible. – If they live in your area or visiting your area, reach out to them. Most of them are more than willing to try to meet. This helps you to get a personal sense of what they go through.
5. Get involved in events for the cause. – Reach out to foundations and ask them if you can raise money for them. – This means a lot to the families too.
6. Be patient. – Becoming an effective advocate takes a lot of hard work and commitment. It will not happen overnight and takes awhile to gain that trust.